Saturday 1 October 2011

Language and Light-sabers

I'm so surprised at how much my level of French has improved after only 5 days. I'm so pleased with myself! I'm not sure if it is just that I have more confidence or that I have actually improved.
Before coming, the idea of having a phone call in French would send me into a fretting, worrying, blubbering  mess about what I should say/how I should say it. But I've kind of realized that it doesn't have to be perfect at the moment. It's the same thing when listening to others, as long as you get the idea and understand most of it, the little words in the middle don't count! 
I've even started to speak to myself in French. Yes, I speak to myself.
One of the things I've found really frustrating is when French people speak to me in English. I know I have an accent!! I'm trying to learn the language and you're really not helping if you reply to me in worse English than my French! (Rant over.) Also not sure why I kept saying you in that sentence, the shop keeper/waiter/random person is probably not reading this...
Anyhoo, today I went to Cannes and spent the afternoon on the beach with a few other assistants. The weather here is much the same as what it is (amazingly!) like in the UK. It was nice to see Cannes, as I've never been (except for the forest-fire night many years ago! - It's another story for another day.) There is this massive cinema thing which is usually at the center of the Cannes Film Festival and they have those cutouts of famous people with holes to put your head in there! Jack Sparrow, Charlies Angels and Star Wars. However, I don't have a photo of it as I thought the people I've only just met might think i'm a bit strange...

So, this is the slightly more boring photo of me in the harbour of Antibes. Would have preferred this photo if my body was that of Yoda/Jack Sparrow and I was carrying a light-saber/sword... 

1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't have thought you were strange! Next time maybe.

    ReplyDelete