Friday 7 October 2011

Hello, my name is Rose and I will be your English assistant this year.

I haven't blogged since Saturday now and there has been a reason. If truth be told, I've had a difficult and tearful week and definitely didn't want anyone who reads this to think i'm really depressed and not having a good time! (Especially my stalking aunties who I know will read this within 10 minutes of it being published!) So I thought saying nothing was best.
I was majorly stressed about having no where to live here! And because i'm a girl this snowballed into me feeling rubbish about being here, however I have got over this and am fine now, and excited to start forming a life. I have a little studio apartment lined up and hope to move in next week. I can't tell you how relieved and excited I am! Will this little orange boarding room always have a special place in my heart? Maybe, but it's not special enough to make me want to stay here for the year!
Now I've explained I can say what else I've been doing (besides being stressed).
Well, this week I've been to Nice for my welcome and training days. I can't really say i've explored Nice yet though, as I've pretty much been confined to the Rectorat and another Lycée that we used. They tried to teach us how to teach others in new and interesting ways. What they said was neither new or interesting and I had flashbacks of sitting in a Burgate School classroom in a sweltering jumper and feeling as bored as I did then. So I need to think up new and interesting ways to entertain and teach the students. Ideas on a postcard please...
I started actual work yesterday and got thrown in at the deep end by having to take 8 into a different classroom and make them talk. No preparation, no warning just GO! It was probably just as awkward for them as it was for me so I hope they don't think i'm too uncool. We ended up talking about 'Desperate Housewives' for most of the time though, which is soooo popular out here! I swear the hype around it has died down majorly in the UK, but the magazines still have it on the cover and there are posters advertising it. Weird.
Must go or i'll be late for work. Definitely not appropriate on my second day.

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! That's way worse than what I had to do (which was stand in front of a classroom and let the kids ask me whatever they want).

    ReplyDelete