Monday 24 October 2011

The new man in my life

I want to talk about my favorite place in Antibes. Friends on Facebook will have already seen pictures which I have posted but I have since found out more about it.
If you continue through the Old Town and past the wall you come Port Vauban, and the Bastion Saint-Jaume and here is where you will find "Nomade."

He was built (I have to say he, I don't want to say it!) a few years ago by a Spanish artist called Jaume Plensa. This information is obviously all taken from another website, I don't, or didn't I guess, know a lot about him.
I went up when I first got here and took these photos but last night I went there in the dark where he was lit up. Unfortunately the photos didn't come out well at all, and also you can't walk on the wall at night like you can in the day it seems.
As you can see it's a giant sculpture of a man, all made out of letters. (Not lettuce as someone misheard me the other day...) From the sea you can see him folding his legs up in front of his chest, but that isn't really visible from the land.You can also walk inside which is pretty strange, especially when you look up into his head! The fact that you can see up into his head which is made up of letters makes you wonder what he is thinking... I can't imagine what he looks like from the sea, it must be a completely different view.
I can't say for sure why I like this place so much, but I can say that any visitors I get will be dragged to see him as soon as they step off the plane.
For anyone interested this is a good video with the artist, however for any non-Frenchies, it is all in French. But, watch it anyway, you never know!
So whilst visiting "Nomade" last night I got to walk down "Quai des milliardaires" which is one of the most ridiculous places I've ever seen. It's where the yachts that won't fit in the normal port are docked, and I thought the other ones were big! These boats made them look like dinghies. I went to see the super-yachts. The biggest one there was Dilbar at 110 meters, and I couldn't comprehend how huge it was! Reassuring to know, then, that it is only the 23rd biggest in the world. Roman Abramovich owns the biggest at 164 meters. Read an article about it and how he had trouble parking his understated yacht in Antibes here.
Also, (sorry majorly long post - catching up!) my friend Jessica has written a great post on her blog here, about French politeness (also includes a clip from Beauty and the Beast which is maybe why I like it so much). I just wish I'd written it!

Wow, so long post, full of links and pictures and videos. Maybe this will stop Mum texting me to tell me "it's nearly time for another blog!"

No comments:

Post a Comment