Monday 14 November 2011

November - the month of the visitors

This month has been a month of visitors.
Number one was my mum, who came at the end of October (woooah I haven't blogged in a long time, and yes I realise she wasn't here in November thus making the title of this post pointless but I don't care. Sssh.) She bought with her some awful weather but also some treats like magazines and sugar-free jelly. For people that you know me, you'll know that these two things are vital in my life. She visited during the first week of Toussaint, which is like half-term. After working for a grand total of three weeks I got to take a week and a half long holiday. Twas wonderful.  I took her to visit Nice, a city which I have mixed feelings about. Feelings that I may explore through the medium of blogs another time... But as well as Nice we wandered around Antibes, even though she has been here before so I felt I wasn't really imparting my new-found wisdom. But was lovely to see her. (If I hadn't of said that I will get a very annoyed text in about 2 minutes time...)
Mum's visit also taught me about something VERY important. The scandal of the bus to the airport. "Lignes d'Azur" obvs think that all tourists are stupid and make them believe the only bus to the airport is one that costs €8 each way (ALL journeys around here cost €1) so I decided to research and found another bus which uses the exact same stop for €1. I feel I've beaten the system. HURRAH!
This was a discovery necessary for the arrival of Emily Copley. (Visitor number two) Em was here for almost a week and so felt like I had a room mate for a while. A room mate who tidies up after me, it's wonderful! I took her to Cannes (I much prefer Cannes to Nice on the scale i'm apparently making) and we went just before the G20 summit which was held there so the police presence was ridiculous! I also managed to take one of my favorite ever photos, one which i've been wanting to take for a while if you look here
We've also found that if you play this song at the same time as looking at the photo it's a sure way to cheer anyone up. Especially me, I start crying every time. Emily's visit also included a Halloween party (dressed as a Red Indian Chief and a belly dancer of course) me falling over and me going off to work in the mornings leaving Emily in bed like a housewife.
Getting her back to the airport on the Saturday was the MOST STRESSFUL MORNING EVER. The weather had been so terrible here that there were awful floods and floods mean closed roads and lots of traffic. It also meant a lot of running in between terminals and we finally arrived at the right place 7 minutes before her gate closed, barely time for a goodbye! Horrible horrible. This gives you an idea of what it was like!
And finally we get to surprise guest number three! Samantha "Wendy" Wynn. An impromptu visit, which experimented with the french covoiturage (car-sharing) scheme. Sam was neither murdered nor kidnapped during the journey from Lyon to Antibes therefore it was found to be a successful and viable travel option. I took her to Cannes once again and got another amazing photograph. If you enjoyed Emily in Pirates of the Caribbean, please welcome Sam in Star Wars!
Music provided here. Enjoy :) Other things that we got up to included drinking cocktails in Monaco and taking part in an accidental club lock-in.
Overall I've had a very exciting and populated month here in Antibes, and am now slightly sad to think that I have no more visitors coming! However, now on the countdown to Christmas and i'll be seeing you in 4 1/2 weeks England!!! Don't worry, i'm perfectly happy here, i'm just excited to be going home for a fortnight!

p.s. Sorry if you don't find the photo/theme song mixes funny. I think they're hilarious. xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment