Thursday 24 November 2011

An English girl celebrating Thanksgiving in France

Happy Thanksgiving to all Americans! I obviously forgot about it and didn't even think until lunchtime when I walked into the staff room and was greeted by this beautiful thanksgiving feast! It was also very useful because I forgot my lunch today!
And this being France of course wine and champagne was on the menu. Felt a bit strange drinking before taking a class but some of the teachers were taking full advantage of it so I didn't feel guilty having one glass!
Most of the English teachers here in either the French, English or International section are American so they organised this feast! It was obviously a cold meal so none of the turkey etc... (which I only know about because of "friends" thanksgiving episodes - I may have been laughed at when I said this.) But I tried pumpkin pie (actually quite nice) and this amazing cake thing - looking to all Americans to tell me what it was, it was like a carrot cake with walnuts and things in it with icing? Sooo good.
Of course this is France so bread olives and chorizo was also available, I'm not sure I've ever been to a meal without these things being there.
Putting on lunches for all the staff seems to be a regular occurrence here, it's so nice. We've already had a Spanish meal and then the science department put one on as well but we ate just normal food. No Heston Blumenthal experimental food like I wanted. Shame. What would we provide as an English department? Fish and chips? Sausage and mash or a full roast dinner? I hope all of them (with lots of cheddar cheese thrown on top.)

2 comments:

  1. Tu as raison, it's carrot cake. Walnuts are a standard extra, and it always has a thick layer of cream cheese frosting. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You say it's strange drinking before a class, I wonder how many of our teachers needed a swig before teaching. Hope you're well! Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete